Tuesday, 5 February 2008

The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service

There was a SharePoint farm not returning search results. The error it returned was

"The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service"

After looking at it, it was a very simple fix. The server wasn't configure to server search queries. A simple ticking of the box in central admin and it fixed the problem. To fix this:

  • Go to Central Admin
  • Operations
  • Services on Server
  • Office SharePoint Server Search Service Setting
  • Make sure "User this server for serving search queries is ticket

Problem solved.

Another thing that could be causing it is the Account used to search might not have the right access needed or the Search services aren't running. Check that

  • Office SharePoint Server Search and
  • Windows SharePoint Services Search

Should be both running. If you're still having problems, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

Fadi...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am running the same issue today.
I have office search service running
I have wss search service running
I have indexing service running

but I see this error when I click onto the search button.

Can you please suggest me, What could be the problem?

Thanks
-Moim

Fadi Noja said...

Have you checked that the server is configured properly through Central Admin? Did you follow the first few steps of the post?

Chris said...

I have this same problem in a 3 server setup (WFE, APP, SQL). I checked the settings like your blog post described and they are correct. I get the "The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service" when trying to run a search and when I go to the Search Settings page in the SSP Admin area I get "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it". Can you shed some light on this? I've been tearing my hair out for weeks over this problem.

Fadi Noja said...

Is the service switched on? I had the same problem once, and when I went into services (not through central admin, but to the box direct) the server wasn't running. I restarted the service and that fixed the problem.

Chris said...

The service is on. I even restarted them manually a few times. I added the search and crawl accounts to the SSP access process list and the error on the ssp search settings page changed to "The search setting is offline....."

I don't have the search account password with me but I will try re-entering it tomorrow and see if that helps.

If you have any suggestions for things I should try or look for I'd really appreciate it.

Fadi Noja said...

You might also want to check the application pool and the account it is using.

toyann said...

Hi,
when u say "Account used to search might not have the right access", if i use the administrator of the server shld be ok, rite?
does this account need to have rite to sql server as well?

Fadi Noja said...

yes, using the server admin account does have right, but i wouldn't. I would create an account just for search, and it must have read/write permission to the database. Let me know how you go.

Anonymous said...

I just had to rebuild my frontend server after a corrupt disk and I am now getting this error. Everything you mentioned looks correct except I do not seem to have the "Office SharePoint Server Search" service installed on my frontend server. What did I miss in the reinstall?

Fadi Noja said...

Did you install WSS or MOSS? I had the same issue where WSS was installed then MOSS installed after.

AJ said...

I had the same issue, but i was connecting to the wrong webservice. I was connecting to _vti_bin/spsearch.asmx instead of _vti_bin/search.asmx like I was supposed to :)

lalo said...

Hi I have installed WSS 3.0 after MOSS 2007 and I am getting below error:

"The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service"

Upen

Koen Zomers said...

Your advice to tick the box in front of "Use this server for serving search queries" worked out great here! Beware that both boxes must be ticked on a one server SharePoint setup.

Thanks!

Koen Zomers said...

Your advice to tick the box in front of "Use this server for serving search queries" worked out great here! Beware that both boxes must be ticked on a one server SharePoint setup.

Thanks!